[at-l] hiking pole questions

Expect a few flames to tell you how the sticks will destroy the planet
with their carbide tips. The question of real problem is in midst of
investigation, and not answered to anyone's satisfaction, yet.

You might check on the Yahoo Backpacking Gear Test Group for reviews by
owners and testers. In general, these sticks are useful for balance and
control on hills, especially if you have heavy gear. Most feel the
weight question is bogus as these aren't usually carried. There are
several who promote the positive angle poles for ergonomics, for
instance Nimblewill Nomad likes his very much. Other cost differences
involve the handle material - plastic versus cork.

I've used the REI cheapy store brand without shock absorbers. I lost
them and have the Malaku's. I really haven't seen much significant
about the shock absorber, other than possibly reducing shock of the tip
to the rocks. There is bend/flex in the poles that takes up much of the
shock.

I suspect all of the poles are of similar quality and benefit. You need
to get someone to show you how to use them, as it is not intuitive and
can save you disatisfaction if you think you are supposed to grip and
carry them. I'd pay at least as much attention to the webbing wrist
strap as to the handle material, as that is the point of contact with
you most of the time.

I find that they tend to slow me down on level ground. Hence, I strap
them to my pack until climbing up or down a significant hill -
especially down. YMMV

Bill...