[at-l] Creation of the AT---

"...Were it not for Avery and his being "a bulldog Trail builder," we wouldn't
have even what we have today."

 Absolutely true. But that doesn't mean that it would be bad to now finally
 achieve some of MacKaye' original vision, which was for a wild as possible
 trail.

 I never met Avery, but I sense he was a guy somewhat like RnR -- someone who
 never shut up if he thought he was right. Avery just pushed and pushed and
 finally a trail existed against all odds -- and with almost everyone angry at
 him.

 He completed the trail during long years as president of the Appalachian Trail
 Conference. The conference responded to his success by changing its by-laws so
 that no one since has been able to serve more than two terms.

 Weary