[at-l] OT Elk-Boy was I Wrong

Hi Folks,
Due to travel and being a little under the weather I've been 'No Mail' for
the past couple of weeks [actually still am for a few more days]. But thought
I submit this little "I must not have known what I was talking about report"

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the Elk that had been released
in the Smokys and someone hoping to see them up close and personal. I had
contributed that was probably not very likely, based on my experience with
that group of Elk when there were residents of the LBL Elk & Bison Prairie.
My experience today with those Elk still in the LBL Prairie stomps all over
my previous statements. This won't be as good as Mara's experience hiking
with them but it sure was neat.
My wife and I were working in the Prairie today. The Elk cows (20-25) were
grazing in one place most all afternoon, about 3:30 to 4:00 as we approached
the area on one of our rounds they were moving across the drive. Some were on
each side of the road with a couple walking across. I eased the truck into
the center of the area and stopped to observe. Normally if you do that they
will shy away from the vehicle to give themselves maybe 30-50 yards of space
and if you open a door, they're off.
Today they acted like we weren't there, continuing to feed and walk right
beside the road within a few feet of the truck. Then I catch movement in the
rear view mirror. Here is a full grown elk cow about two feet behind the
truck. She nuzzled the tailgate then kept sniffing and nuzzling her way up
the passenger side of the truck. The window was down about 3 inches [couldn't
get Nadine to lower it any farther]; she stuck her nose in the window as far
as she could thoroughly checking us out. She stayed there for a minute or two
then sniffed the radio antenna and scratched her ear on it, turned and walked
away. I then got out of the truck with my camera to take a picture or two and
they all could have cared less. They did shy away a few feet when the camera
motor wound to the next frame but were basically unpreturbed.
I guess how tolerant they are of humans depends of the mood they are in [just
like the rest of us].
Other experiences should have had me more aware of that before now.
Especially that female Bald Eagle last year that let me and the dogs walk to
within 20 yards of her perch and didn't fly away until we had walked away
some half hour later.
This is a great place to live for wildlife watching.
Back on the list soon
Plum'Crazy