[at-l] No TV/VCR

At 03:51 PM 1/11/02 -0500, cballs@mindspring.com wrote:
>Television takes over your mind and does all the imagining and all the
>"thinking" for you.

Since this seems to be the heart of your position, I'll respond to this.
BS....maybe for the young or for people less cynical than I but
there is no program that I watch that doesn't get talked back to.
I do not suspend my mind when watching TV.  So since your
staements were all universally applied to all people and I am a people
and they do not apply to me, I say BS.   I am not unique.  Mike,
who likes a lot more TV,  sees through it all the time.  Just the other
day he went into a rant about fat burger ads on at 10 PM.  Quote,
"Who do they think they are fooling?  How many people are gonna
run out and buy a fat burger at 10PM.  They are just trying to program
people to eat lunch there tomorrow!"  Now if my much less cynical
hubbie can see through it, a lot of people do.

I find your position elitist and insulting.  Perhaps you have a problem
with TV taking over your mind.  Perhaps many people do.  If I could
wave a wand I would wipe out 95% of the programing.  But TV is just
a tool for entertainment and commerce.  The fact that some people
misuse or abuse it does not make it inherently bad.