[at-l] NO TV/VCR

A few more thoughts on TV:

I read an article in a parenting magazine and then later heard an
interview by Diane Rheme of the Dr. who authored the article.  (I can't
cite the article's source, author, or magazine.  Sorry, too many years
ago) which said that TV caused nightmares in young children.
Susan and I talked about it and decided that the TV would remain off
from 3:30 until the kids went to bed.
That was 4 years ago and we haven't had a single **not even one**
nightmare since that time.

Later on, we decided to expand our TV policy.  We had always used the
"Mute" button during the morning news to censor and control the exposure
level of our kids to what is reported.  (All news programs ARE
entertainment rather than "public service" or anything else.  If you
doubt me, why do they track ratings, market share and why are they
considered for Emmy awards?)  Our new policy was "no TV in the mornings
b4 school.

Currently the girls watch some cartoons on Saturday mornings, and
occasionally some in the afternoons after school.  I will selectively
allow them to view some news items so that we can talk about them
(dinner time is "what happened at school today" time and "tell me what
you think about XXXX" time).  They also watch shows that Susan and I
choose for them mainly from the Discovery channels.  They have learned a
great deal which I could not have taught them from some of these
programs.  Some that come immediately to mind are the one about the
Mammoth, the one called "the body story" which was a multi part show
which among other topics, showed (in utero) a living fetus from
conception through delivery at every stage of development, and Sam Neill
hosted one about the universe and space exploration which Carmen just
Soaked in.

In general I believe that TV is vastly overrated (but with some
exceptions).  It is depended on by parents as "the babysitter", and by
adults in general as a replacement for conversation.  There is quite a
lot that is a huge waste of electricity, but with all of that said,
swearing off TV "forever" is like refusing to ever read again because
you accidentally read a romance novel, or never going to the theater
because you saw a bad play.

As with any form of entertainment, take what you want, leave the rest.

-r