[at-l] No TV/VCR

pmags@yahoo.com wrote:
> The big reason why I don't own a television is that I
have been very nomadic the past 2 1/2 years.  A TV is
just one more item I have to worry about...

I agree. The big reason I don't watch television is television, not because of what's on it.  It simply doesn't matter what's on it.  What's important is the nature of thing itself. You are having your perceptions of reality shaped by someone else, some of whom you probably wouldn't like very much if you knew them: editors and producers and advertisers and journalists and technicians who sit in New York and Los Angeles and D.C. mostly and who see the world through that perspective and from those values and prejudices.  They are deciding for you what is important and what is valuable and what is beautiful and you are responding to it whether you think you are or not. I have worked in the advertising business for 20 years.  They don't spend 10 billion dollars a year on something that doesn't work.  Believe me, they know where ALL your buttons are and they know how to push them because it's a science.  They pass out university degrees in this stuff.  Today's frontier is your mind!
. Kill your TV and go outside and walk in the woods.  It's possible to learn more useful information there in a single day than you will in a million years watching television.

Curtis

PS. Even the nature shows on TV are weird.  It's speeded up.  Nature is nowhere near that fast.