[at-l] Re: Re Section hikes NJ > Maine

Bear Mtn. can be reached from Graymor in less than a day. I spent a ridiculous amount of time making
the trip because I let myself get turned around and went the wrong way for a bit then I got so
involved in watching the world go by I failed to relaize for a good 30 minutes that the nice
forest-like road I was on wasn't the AT (it was part of a trail network alright, but not the AT).

You can stay at places besides Bear Mtn. Inn if you want to overnight. If I were staying in the area
again I'd probably stay at Bear Mountain Bridge Motel (the Inn, in the park, is nice but not that
nice).

By the way, a good webpage with information on public transporation (not exhaustive) to various
trailheads relatively near NYC can be found at <http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/no-car.html>.

  ** Ken **

ps- I like Bear Mountain. The next mountain south of it is a bit of a pain though. Make sure you say
"hi" to the ranger who works the tower (Mike, I think, but I'd have to check my journal - he's
friendly to long distance hikers and can tell you how good, or bad, the water situation is).

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **