[at-l] Gear approval/recommendation (waterfilter)

Take your filter and Platy hose to your friendly, small, neighborhood
hardware store.  They have many different sizes and types of hose.
Find one that's soft and flexible (Felix-ible?) with a fairly thick
wall that fits onto the output of your filter.  Get about 6" of that.
Then, nearby you'll find drawers or bins full of little plastic hose
connectors, find one that that has ends of two different sizes--one
that fits the Platy hose and one that fits the new hose you just
found.  Total cost will be about $1.50, tops.  I've got that set up
for my Sweetwater and Platy and it works like a champ.  Keep the
short hose in your "clean" ziplock, that's inside the ziploc you use
to carry the rest of your filter.  I'd also recommend carrying an
extra bite valve.  Since you take it off your Platy to fill up, if
you drop it in the stream, get it lost/broken, your hydration
"system" is just a big wet mess.

I also agree with an earlier poster about carrying a (virtually
weightless) nylon water bag to fill at the water source.  Then you
can bring it to the shelter, hang from a convenient peg, nail or tree
branch and filter in comfort.  Keep the filter intake off the bottom
of the bag so crud can settle and not clog your filter.

Cosmo

--Original Message(s)--

Message: 42