[at-l] Re: Breathable clothing

I'm going to suggest you take a look at the recent articles on raingear and windshirts over at
Backpackinglight.com <www.backpackinglight.com>.

A windshirt may or may not have a DWR treatment that'll let it resist some light showers. The
fabric, usually something like Pertex Microlight, will block wind quite effectively but is in an dof
itself not meant for rain wear. Fabrics that are meant to block rain storms will be heavier,
tighter, less breathable, but will block rain.

>From your description it sounds like you are looking for a wind shirt (the Wind Shirt Wars article
is worth reading). It'll block wind and resist gentle rain. A windshirt will not keep you dry in an
all day rain or a downpour. It isn't meant too.

Those cheap non-breathable nylon jackets are probably not what you want. You'll get quite hot in
them though the wind will be block (and so will rain) and sweaty. Unless such a jacket has good
ventilation it is not really something you want to wear.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **