[at-l] The perils of cotton

Amy: I've worn cotton in the outdoors for the past 72 years. I was born in May.
My folks took me camping that June. I've hardly missed a season since -- that's
four times 72 seasons. I don't ever recall being close to being killed.

 That doesn't mean that cotton isn't dangerous. Several have died on New
 Hampshire's Mount Washington, wearing cotton blue jeans in winter conditions.
 Dry cotton pants provide only minimal insulation. Blue jeans -- and cotton
 chino for that matter -- provide no insulation when wet.

  But my favorite winter underwear is the original Duofold blend. Cotton inside
  with a cotton and wool-blend exterior. A reviewer recently wrote, "it
  shouldn't work, but it seems to do okay" or words to that effect. I almost
  always wear a cotton tee shirt -- summer and winter. When the temperature
  cools, I invariably wear a cotton flannel shirt.

   For years my favorite mountain parka was made of a high thread count, 100
   percent long fiber cotton. The cotton swelled with the first rain drops,
   creating a nearly waterproof, breathable garment. I have a photograph
   someplace of my cotton parka on the summit of Katahdin one February.

   Unfortunately it wore out and someone told LL Bean that "cotton kills" so
   they stopped making them.

   The "fad" fabric 30 years ago was 60-40 cloth -- 60
   percent nylon, 40 percent cotton (or it may have been the other way around)
   Millions used the fabric in the outdoors. Backpacker magazine tested and
   praised the remarkable "new" fabric. Even Consumer Reports joined the chorus
   of accolades. Only a few died each year -- mostly those wearing blue jeans on
   Mount Washington in winter.

    Now the fads are Goretex and fleece. Only a few die each year -- mostly
    those who fail to wear enough insulation on Mount Washington in winter.

    However, Amy, you have opened a bag of worms. Mine is a distinct minority
    view. I'm going to be accused of gross and dangerous irresponsibility for
    daring to challenge the conventional wisdom about cotton and its alleged
    killing properties. Someone is sure to say that this advice will cause
    innocent hikers to die.

    Weary