[at-l] GARUCK -- Driving directions?

OB (or others with first hand experience):

The WEB based driving direction programs I've checked want to take me from
SW VA (right on I-81 just above the I-81/I-77 converge/split) down I-77,
then through NC to Charlotte, and then west on I-85.  They tend to differ on
the southern end of the route.

On a hard copy map, it looks as if heading down I-81 to somewhere in the
vicinity of Chattanooga might be better -- if not in actual miles, in terms
of terrain, potential traffic congestion, etc.

Opinions?

Something I am missing/miss-reading?

In either case, what is the best route to the park from I-81 to the west, or
I-85 to the east?

Chainsaw