[at-l] Hiking food you love to hate...

For me this was just Pop Tarts... but I wasn't a big fan in the first
place.  I had packed all my maildrops, but left them open at home, and I
called my sister from Walasi-Yi to tell her - "take out all the Pop Tarts -
I don't care what you do with them, but TAKE THEM OUT!".  I never liked
Oatmeal in the first place, so I didn't plan on having it in maildrops.

For the balance of my hike, I ate NutriGrain bars, Oatmeal Cream Pies,
snickers and Protein Bars for breakfast, along with Gorp which had cereal
in it.  I had bought lots of Liptons in advance for dinners and never got
sick of them, but I had made sure to buy about 20 varieties, some rice and
some noodles, so I wouldn't get tired of the same old thing.  I also added
some of my own dehydrated veggies and sometimes wrapped them in tortillas
for variety.

For treats, I did carry heavy things out of town... fresh fruit or (in the
North) a Surge soda to give that extra sugar/caffeine rush just before a
big climb. But they were gone in a day.  I did find that I overestimated
how long it would take me to hike distances in the second half of my hike -
I mailed 10 days of food for the Wilderness, but gave half away (luckily my
good friend Dude was in Monson and needed food) and I did the Wilderness in
just over 4 days.  Maildrop food was right on for the first half of the
hike.

Twilight