[at-l] Injury reserves (was insurance weasles)

Clark wrote:
<big snip>
It floored me how many of my hiker friends came down with something, or
had a significant enough injury to require attention.......<big snip>

This brings up something that I usually forget about until It happens to
me.
Things that would not normally cause issues with me (and others as I
have observed) develop into serious problems on the trail (or any thyme
you put your body under constant unrelenting stress)

An example:  I trimmed my fingernails prior to a weeklong hike early
last year.  Nothing unusual about that, I usually do it, (get it done b4
I get too dirt encrusted) however, this thyme, I must have cut too close
or pulled a bit of skin with a nail on one finger, because at the end of
day one I had a tender finger, and by the end of day two, it was swollen
and very painful.  It was oozing, swollen, and pink for the next few
days after the hike was done.

I know that this can happen any time, but I've had some experience with
this particular thing since I like to keep my fingernails short (can you
say compulsive).  Even if I draw blood, it never results in infection or
swelling.  I normally heal very quickly.

Possibly there is a known medical explanation for this (Anyone? Anyone?
Orange Bug?) but I know that most people I hike with don't take it into
consideration (myself included).  Sloetoe has told us how he learned
this lesson.  Anyone else have any "minor" problems turn "major" due to
similar circumstances?

-r