Fwd: [at-l] Best Tent for Tru-Hike? ['03]

> "Officially designated" means "overused", "impacted", etc.  I'm with you
> here.  Stealth is good - keeping in mind that you should leave no
> sign that
> you were there.

The general LNT principles suggest that you use the overused, impacted,
blackend, etc. rather than stealth which just starts another place on the
road to ruin. This is particularly true on the AT where the usage is very
heavy. As time goes by such policies we become more than suggestions. For
example, NJ, NY and CT (perhaps others) are already designated sites only.
Theoretically a ranger can ask you to move on or perhaps even ticket you.