[at-l] Gear approval/recommendation

I've been a lurker for many months now -- but now I have an actual
question. :)

I'm gearing up for a section hike or two when the weather turns warm
enough, say April-ish or even May, and a thru-hike when I finally manage
to get out of college.  Previously, I've used borrowed equipment for
mostly weekend trips, but now that I'm planning longer trips it's about
time I got my own stuff.

I plan on getting a Gregory Palisade; I've been borrowing a (horrible)
Kelty external, and after loading up the Palisade with 35 lbs of sand and
a s***load of pillows at REI, I think I have that one covered.  It's heavy
by some standards, but I'm not going the ultralight route, at least yet
(although I'll probably substitute a tarp for a tent).  The same load in
the Kelty felt heavier, and after trying on a few different packs, I kept
going back to the Gregory models.

One of the items on my to-get list is a filter; I know many feel it's
unnecessary, but I'm a chicken.  On my weekend trips I was always able to
bring enough water with me, but now I'm thinking of getting an MSR
MiniWorks filter, since it's relatively small and has the attachment for a
Nalgene bottle.  The reviews are generally good on outdoorreview.com,
except for the speed, which doesn't bother me in the least.  Can anyone
chime in with good/bad experiences on the AT with this?

Any recommendations on a good *lightweight* 20-deg sleeping bag?  My
current one is quite heavy, and has gotten tattered enough that it needs
to be replaced.  I'm 6'3", so whatever it is it needs to be available in
long. :)

-brian

--
Brian C. Merrell