[at-l] Two Questions

revmrf@kingcon.com writes:

> heavier Gortex rain jacket which I use for x-c skiing or to go with my
> Frogg Togg.  I am set with layers of Polartec and other hi-tec

 Rusty:
   How about taking your x-c jacket and mailing it home if you don't like it.
(please remember that in the first 150 days of my hike, I had 50 days of rain
and people with Frog Togs were not only wet but cold) I'm sure others had
different experiences but that was my observation. Little Steps ( or was it
Gotta' Hike)?Anyway, one of them, hated the Toggs and got something else. I
used a Marmott Precip. with my capilene and polartec 200 weight. Ended up
usually using the polartec as a camp shirt after I stopped and a pillowcase
filler at night. (also, placed the long johns in the pillowcase so, if I got
cold or had to go to the bushes at night, they could be found and put on
without waking anyone else.  I was just fine down to 18 degrees. (I had an
internal frame pack which make a huge difference in daytime hiking warmth). I
wore my capilene long john during the day under my REI rain pants only 3
times...and only for a very short period. Normally, in wind and down to about
20 degrees, my rain/wind pants were perfect. after I warmed up, my shorts and
gaiters pulled up to my knees were great. I wore my marmot jacket backwards a
couple of times in the wind/cold. I had a sleeveless top that I wore in the
summers and as an undershirt, with a long sleeved capilene zip-up to mock
turtle in the winter. The zipper is very important. I wish I had known that
before I bought other capilene tops. I will never buy another non-zip top.
The versatility is very important; at least, for me. I was a hot hiker and a
cold sleeper.
  Hike Happy
Dare
Ps: Question 2: no