[at-l] Two Questions

no crampons needed - any weather will be short if at all, use the frogg togg
or something else.  the heavy gortex will likely be too much if you also
have a fleece layer & other synthetics.  You will be surprised at how nice
it can be that time of year.  You need to be prepared for storms, but they
blow thru quickly and don't leave any accumulation nor do they snow for days
and days, usually just a dump overnight or a day and melts the next.  now
rain is another story - but you wouldn't be mentioning the frogg toggs if
you didn't already like them for rain.

Ive hiked GA twice that time of year w/ poncho, ems windstopper fleece
jacket & mid weight capilene long sleeve shirt.  also a shortsleved top for
warm days & layering.  I must admit to also carrying a thin fleece shirt for
days end & sleeping ( exchanging the sweaty day layer for a nice dry warm
one) - but I've never hiked in it.  The problems I've run into have all been
because I had a stubborn swed streak about rainpants, nothing to do w/ the
top layer which always kept me warm.  The southern section of the trail is
also extremely easy to get off of if the conditions deteriorate beyond your
comfort level.  You can always get out w/in a day via side trails or road
crossings.

You can always put the gortex in your bump box @ walasi-yi for in case you
decide you want it, or vice versa.

cheerio