[at-l] Taking care of business

> What do you folks do about the rest of your lives while
> > you're gone?  Do you not own houses?  Do you not have
> > pets, children, other responsibilities?

Goood question.
This one gives me the willies. I have been picking folks brains over this.
To do a thru-hike will be a total uproot here. Not a college kid anymore!

Thru-hiking in 2003  means giving up the lease on a beloved barn and
apartment, large riding ring and huge horse pasture. They are PRIME. I have
been here five peaceful years this spring. Then  location has allowed my
business to flourish. And my landlord allows dogs, cats...
I don't have a prayer of reclaiming this choice valley location when I
return.

so i will likely have to buy when I return. Now there a BIG Willie.

Then, there's the STUFF. How did I get all this stuff? it must be dealt
with. There is a lifetime of STUFF here. There has been a powerful urge to
dispense with a good fifty percent or more of it. This snowstorm has given a
start on it.
But... it's all so ...painful!  How does one throw out a perfectly good
iron? Just how many winter scarves are reasonable - three? seventeen? Oh,
and this limited edition hand-painted brass tree ornament I no longer want
but my mother gave me and is probably valuable? One becomes paralyzed with
indecision!

And then the animals, oh don't get me started on that. I don't have a
solution as yet. Who will be kind to them, read their "I want  out/food/ear
scritchies/more food" or "thunder makes me run into the closet and puke"
signals?
The horses will be sold, they don't much care WHO brings them their apple
treats as long as they are brought, but the two dogs and the cat are family
and will miss me terribly.
 Well... the dogs will anyway.

Then, to commit career suicide and let my business go for six months. Can I
kick start it again, or eat up savings?

The brain says nonono, and the body and spirit continue to execute thru-hike
plans.

It's all very scary but also - despite an aging father whose fate is as of
yet undecided - inevitable.

Aaaaah, I think I need an antacid...