[at-l] Re: Warming up after hiking.

My comment on the Vapor Barrier parallels your reasoning. I used VBL
socks in camp and while post-holeing out of the Smokies and found my
feet stayed warm and at least as wet as they normally are in forced
marches.

The VBL idea has a number of hazards. They were used by wrestlers to
lose weight, resulting in some deaths from hyperthermia and dehydration
a few years back. Whether they are something to depend on in severe
cold is not that clear to me. I'd agree that VBL ought to be held in
reserve for survival. For instance, if it were 20F and windy and I had
fallen into water, I'd strip and sit in a large garbage sack, then get
into a sleeping bag for warmth until I could dry my cloths.

The idea of a windshirt is real interesting. I have considered it, but
just haven't taken the opportunity to do it. I've read a lot of info
from VBL fans who are as sold on it as I am on the best quality down
bag you can barely afford. I don't take a down jacket due to the
weight, also, but carried capilene, 2 100 weight fleece long sleeves, 1
fleece vest, a Pendelton shirt a heavy REI shell and rain pants, a
balacava, windstopper OR Aztec style hat, but poor gloves. I had mild
frost bite and numbness of index fingers and thumbs for about 3 weeks.

My comment on irresponsibility is like an Ogre (Shrek fans can pipe in
here) with many layers. I was alone and chose to attempt to hike a
schedule rather than the trail. I knew there was chance of very foul
weather. I assumed that my comparison of the AT to I-95 was accurate -
you might be driving alone but there are lots of others around. I
discovered myself extremely alone. I had _never_ hiked in winter and
snow before, and faced 30 inches of snow, +40mph wind, 0F (at least
down the hill in Asheville) and was stuck at Tricorner Knob shelter.

I figured I was well geared and provisioned. I was more concerned for
loved ones, coworkers, patients and for those who might attempt to
rescue me if I became injured. There had been a medical evac the prior
night from the first shelter north of Newfound Gap for hypothermia. I
would not like to be the object of a rescue or body recovery due to
stupidity.

I had at least paid attention to the casualties of the '93 blizzard.
Those who attempted to leave their shelter with inadequate gear were
the ones to suffer injuries and death. Those who stayed put until
conditions improved had a much better story to tell. I had a weather
radio and could follow NPR's reports of VP Cheney's "normal" coronary
graft occlusion and yet another public school shooting, but didn't have
much to read. I stayed with my strategy of awaiting the end of the
blizzard and began near first light to make it to Carter's Gap Shelter,
the longest and hardest 8 miles I've ever hiked.

I can look back on that time with a sense of pride that I handled it
pretty well. I still think it was a dumb idea, and that I should have
spent Sunday and Monday in Gatlinburg and delayed my hike by 2-3 days.
I don't want to romanticize the idea of solo winter hiking and have
someone's death journal complain about that damned OB's implied
suggestion to push their envelope.

I think I would and could (and probably will) enjoy this type of winter
sport, but would prefer to share the experience. I'd like someone else
to be able to talk about watching shelter mice freeze to death. Just
put a little pile of rice out there, and they will eat it and freeze
before they know it! Just like quick frozen veggies in the grocers.
There, dammit, I went and said one of the things that was fun about it.
Better quit now.

Bill...