[at-l] Warming up after hiking.

Rogene Beers wrote:

> Steve,
>       Wool has been the tried and true method of keeping warm in the winter
> for centries but I think the issue is more that wool does not dry out
> quickly and weighs a bunch especially when wet.   Fleece weighs very little
> and drys out quickley.   As for me wool just palin itches me to death
> causing reddness and skin breakdowns. Allergic to of all things the lanolin
> in the wool.

Hrm.  Is smartwool any better about the weight when wet thing?

>         If you are insistant on natrual products there are products from a
> specialized small Ilama (Forgot the name of this animal)  Reportedly is much
> warmer than wool and much softer.

That would be alpaca.  I got an alpaca sweater in the late 80's which I
just love.  Incredibly soft and warm.  Really only suitable for very
very cold days.

Speaking of natural fibers, I'm considering getting a silk top and
bottom for town days.  Light, packs well, looks elegant..  (Um, the
last may not be a factor by the time I get to town.)

-amy in md