[at-l] TN state parks -- whazzup?

Here's an old news story about the State Parks.
TJ

 <A HREF="http://www.oakridger.com/stories/113001/new_1130010051.html";>The Oak Ridger Online -- Area News --Norris Dam State Park, others close
today 11/30/01</A>
Story last updated at 1:35 p.m. on Friday, November 30, 2001

Norris Dam State Park, others close today
County attorney filing lawsuit against state

from staff and wire reports Norris Dam State Park will effectively close at
4:30 this afternoon, when the park's workers leave for the day -- their final
day of work."We're closing," Park Manager Fred Talley said Wednesday. He said
park employees were working to winterize the cabins, blow leaves and do the
necessary paperwork for 18 employees to receive unemployment.Anderson County
Attorney David Clark plans to file a lawsuit against the state later today or
Monday on behalf of the "public." When the Tennessee Valley Authority entered
into a contract with the state for use of TVA lands for the state park, it
reportedly did so with the understanding that the land would be open to the
public.Clark said Thursday that the lawsuit is very complicated and he does
not yet know which court he'll file it in. Anderson County Commission
authorized him to file suit against the state if no agreement could be
reached with state officials to keep the park open.The filing of the suit
will be too late for the Norris Dam employees. Talley said hopes or promises
are not suitable to plan families' financial livelihoods upon.Clark isn't
confident the state Legislature will work to reopen parks when it returns to
session in January."There is a sense of permanency that I think kind of
belies the temporary label that has been placed on the closure," he said. "I
mean, people are moving their families and relocating kids to different
school systems and losing their homes. It is a big deal."He called it a
tragedy."It is one of the few things at which Tennessee state government
excels -- our state park system," Clark said.State Sen. Randy McNally, R-Oak
Ridge, said he hopes to force reopenings by requiring the administration to
get General Assembly approval before closing parks.Meantime, he worries about
lost sales taxes to local governments from park visitors and the untold costs
involved in reopening the parks, when and if that happens.Longtime clerk
Connie Lawson spent the past few days leafing through a thick stack of pink
reservation forms at Norris Dam State Park so she could return $9,000 in
deposits. Talley said $10,000 was having to be returned.Wedding receptions,
family reunions and other gatherings -- all canceled because the state
government is closing the park to save money."I don't see how this is really
going to help," she said. "Especially after the Sept. 11 attacks, people are
going to want to come to places like this."Norris Dam State Park, a
4,000-acre park some 20 miles north of Knoxville, has been part of the state
system since 1953.Today, Norris joins four other parks shuttered indefinitely
because of state budget problems: Big Ridge, Frozen Head and Indian Mountain,
all in East Tennessee, and Henry Horton, except for its golf course, in
Middle Tennessee.Nine parks already have closed since September, and 37 more
are operating only five days a week. More than 200 workers are out of
jobs.Lawson, 49, a single mom with a new house, will join them. She's worked
at Norris for eight years, but wasn't offered a transfer. "I didn't have
enough years, I guess."Talley, a 25-year park veteran who has managed Norris
for more than four years, will be transferred, with a demotion, to South
Cumberland Recreation Area at Monteagle, some 100 miles away. He figures he
will be there "until they decide to close that one, too."Two rangers will
remain to secure the park and the other closed parks in the area, while
another will be transferred to Cove Lake State Park in Caryville. All but two
members of an 18-man maintenance crew skilled at repairing everything from an
18th century grist mill to a modern sewage treatment plant at the park, will
be let go. Talley said a couple of maintenance people are also moving on to
Cove Lake, which is starting to charge $3 admission fee and will continue to
be closed Mondays and TuesdaysMeantime, construction of a new pool continues
to fulfill a contract obligation. Who will use it? "The frogs and snakes, I
guess," ranger Steve Smith said.Gov. Don Sundquist announced the park
closures in August. The savings amounted to only $3.2 million out of some
$100 million in budget cuts ordered by the administration as lawmakers
wrestle with tax reform.The closures angered people across the state. Around
Norris, some 15,000 people have signed petitions to keep their park open.The
Department of Environment and Conservation understands, spokeswoman Kim Olson
said."State parks aren't just a government service," she said. "They are an
emotional experience, and closing them has stirred up a lot of those
emotions."Amy Byrge, 30, of nearby Andersonville, called the closures
ridiculous.As she guided her four young children to the car after an outing
at Norris Dam, she said the family visits the park about three times a week
"to go to the playground, take a walk, go fishing, just have a good time.""It
has been here forever, as long as I can remember, and I have lived here all
my life," she said.Now the park is closing."It is crazy," she said. "It is a
shame."County officials have called attention to the amount of
tourism-related revenue the county will lose because of the closing. Talley
said park employees have already returned $10,000 to people who had reserved
cabins or the Norris Tea Room for the coming months.County Tourism Director
Stephanie Ailey told commissioners that approximately 890,000 people visit
the park each year, many of them tourists. Along with the park, the Threshing
Barn, the Grist Mill and Tea Room will be closed. The marina will remain open.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---