[at-l] warming up after hiking

I think you got a bit overheated and sweaty. 2 miles per hour in snow
and wind is awfully hard work. With your history of hypoglycemia, you
may have crashed your blood sugar, began evaporating sweat in the hot
apartment - cooling you and starting the shivers.

If you had been in the woods, I'd suggest you put rain gear on to
reduce breeze once you stopped the hike and remove anything wet/sweaty.
I'd have also encouraged you to wear less while walking - if you walk
and are warm and comfortable, you have too many layers. If you are
sweating - way to many layers or are working excessively. The general
rule is to remove layers heading uphill and replace the layers
downhill.

Once you stopped, you needed out of the wet clothing and into something
dry (that was dry and not warm). This could have been as simple as rain
gear or your sleeping bag. I'd then wanted you to get some water &
calories on board quickly, especially once the shivers started. That
could be the place for warm Jello water. Calories = heat.

You discovered the reason to avoid winter hiking alone, especially the
first several times or the times you wish to survive. If you are
shivering uncontrollably, you aren't going to be able to work your TNF
microwave attachment in your Beheamoth Backpack, as I used to use. It
can become very difficult to operate a number of stoves and matches.
Often, your brain begins to malfunction with chill and low sugar and
relative or true dehydration. A buddy could help you budget yourself or
help rescue you in such a situation.

Bill...