[at-l] The Gauntlet, was The best thing about Winter Hiking...

> You southern folks lose a
>  bit of this advantage, but then you have many disadvantages over
> the north, so one more will hardly matter.

Oh darlin', you are treading on sacred ground here, sure enough...
We have flowers in January. Yes, flowers. Camellias for one. Can you imagine
that? They look like wax roses.

The woods here are not purely bare sticks, but are undershot with
still-green honeysuckle vines, azaleas, hollies, rhododendrons and numerous
other native shrubs. A little bit of green gives one the courage to hold on
till spring.

 The daphnes are blooming now, and that clean, lemony fragrance makes grown
men weep, rooting them to the spot sniffing for the source. And in June, a
waft of magnolia can make a body do foolish things....

Not to mention your more sensible birds come south for the winter...

Escaped the frozen north in a sleet storm 21 years ago last month, still
smitten by my adopted region. When I got out of the car that December 1980,
a soft, balmy night drawled howdy and the quarter moon was lying on its side
like a lazy smile.

Well, need I say more? I am happy playing in the snow, and I am even happier
knowing I can ride next week without stiletto ice balls forming on my
horses' feet.

That said, I look forward to hiking in Maine. Nice place to visit and all...
--
    Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

http://www.mindspring.com/~janl2

E-mail:  mailto:janl2@mindspring.com