[at-l] new to list - soon to hike

Greetings all,

I'm planning to start my 2002 AT thru-hike on April 1st at Springer.

A little about me. I've been backpacking for the last 20+ years. I'm a technical writer. I live in Michigan, home of 100% humidity and big blood-sucking bugs. I've wanted to do the AT since I was 15, but only now all the factors are coming together (I
get laid-off in March- yeah!!). My friends and relatives think I'm daft to this. Luckily my husband and cat are very supportive. The cat's support consists of lying (shedding) on any piece of gear I set down, thus giving it her seal of approval. I'll
still be finding cat hair in PA.

I bought my airline ticket this morning. I've got 95% of my gear. I've gone the lighter route with a base load close to 15 lbs. I'm still wrestling with the urge to take my MSR Dragonfly instead of the new 1 oz. alcohol stove. I've got my maildrops
figured. I've got piles of food on every surface - and 60 lbs. of hamburger still to cook and dry. Nothing beats the look on the cashier's face when you go through checkout with 8 lbs. of oatmeal, 30 lbs. raisins, 60 lbs. of hamburger, and 360 ziploc
bags.

I'm excited. I'm really excited, but I won't believe it's real until I set foot on the southern terminus.

Glad to be here (questions next post)

SquirrelGirl