Long.....Re: [at-l] Washing a down bag...

In a message dated 1/2/2002 1:29:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Slyatpct@aol.com writes:

> Anyone have ideas on washing a down bag?  Mine is over due, but I not sure
> which is the best detergent to use.  Will household detergent work or
> should
> I use Woolite or the pricey stuff they sell at the outfitters?

Sly,

I posted this same question a couple years ago when I received Datto's smelly
bag in the mail. It wasn't staying in my living room for a few months in that
condition. I got two replies - the first one, which is the method I used, was
from woodelf.  I washed the bag by hand, but used the dryer to dry it.  I
splurged on down soap (I think it was $4-5) because it seemed worth it in the
long run. I think I ended up washing the bag twice and then sent the rest of
the bottle to Datto to use after he got home. The down wash also didn't seem
to have all the extra bubbles many soaps nowadays have. I also, in addition
to the tennis ball drying method, used nmy hands to gently spread apart
clumps of feathers. I dried it over two days. I dried it for a while the
first day, then pulled the clumps apart, laid it out inside out and put it in
the dryer again the second day. The bag went from stinky smelly, stained to
fluffy, clean and nonstained!  It was wonderful!

Instructions from woodelf:

Subj:   Re: [at-l] Cleaning Down