[at-l] Re: Loss of the AT thru-hiking "mystique"

Desert Nomad wrote:

> 1.  I agree with Earl on some things. For example, the
>     walk into Monson should still be there. I have nothing
>     against town stops, but many hikers look more forward
>     to them than being in the woods.

That's *their* problem.

You could argue instead that there are certain aspects
of the current thruhiking scene that impinge on everyone's
hiking experience and I wouldn't necessarily disagree that
such things are a problem. However, I dare say that the
traveling party crowd has never held, nor are interested
in, any sort of trail mystique as you describe it; they're
in it for other reasons. It's not as though one can spend
a summer following the Grateful Dead anymore.

> 2.  How about hiking "experience" instead of hiking "scene"?

While everyone acquires experience, for the most part
participation in "the scene" (or "the community" for
that matter) is strictly optional. Were the Fulminatrix
and I to ever hike through, for example, we'd be avoiding
the latter to the point of never staying in an occupied
shelter. I swore off sharing unhygienic quarters with smelly
persons of questionable character upon graduating college.

> 3.  By the way, you still don't know who I am?

I know. It's been a few years, eh? I was gonna drop you a
short line the other day, but was too distracted by Pegus.

-MF