[at-l] Re: thoughts on various hiking items etc

Well here are some more thoughts on these thoughts...

On 12/29/01 at 8:42 PM, Desert Nomad <lucy@uia.net> wrote:

>  1. camera: not that essential, the long distance shots are not great
>     unless a human is in the center of the photo and without one you
>     don't need to deal with film and battery issues, etc.

Ah ah. Years from now you will want to look back on your hike. Pictures help bring back memories
very effectively. You don't need to get a snazzy camera system if you don't want too, but you are
going to see things that you will want to see again and again and pictures may be the only way to do
that.

>  2. stoves: I would go without one. You also don't have to carry the
>     pot, spoon, fuel bottle, etc. Note, this means a little added weight
>     in food, but the hassle of cooking is out.

I know some people that do this on short trips. I wouldn't do it myself. There are so many light
stoves out there (alcohol, esbit) and efficient stoves (certain alcohol designs, white gas, other)
that fuel weight needn't be a big hassle. I'd especially take a stove on colder weather (I'm not
even talking about winter; just colder weather) trips. Hot food is quite good.

>  3. knife: not needed

Personal choice. I take a small Swiss Army Knife and find it useful for such things as slice cheese,
summer saussage, a shoelace/rope now and then.  You can get a tiny knife that weighs an ounce or
less.

>  4. compass: not needed

Hmmph. I don't agree with this. You can get off the trail, even a well marked on like the AT, easily
enough, and need to naviagte back. Granted most people don't do this as often as I do but why not
carry the thing. It also gives you the chance to explore off-trail a bit and be sure you can find
your way back by reversing your course and following the appropriate compass bering.

>  5. medicine kit: only true essentials would be a toothbrush and
>     toothpaste, maybe some pills like ibuprofen for pain and immodium
>     for #2 problems and an antiobiotic, moleskin, and powder such as
>     Gold Bond, mini scissors help too

First aid kits are a very personal decision. Take what you know how to use.

>  6. water filters: no use, carry Polar Pure (iodine that treats up to
>     2000 gallons)

Some people like to remove floaties from water. If I take a filter I take an inline gravity filter
system that weighs about 6 ounces. If I am going chemical only I may still bring a Silt Stopper if I
expect water with lots of particulate matter in it.

[ snip ]

> 10.tent: lightweight Eureka clip flashlight for me. Keeps me away from
>    the snorers in the shelters and bugs. Also, great for privacy,
>    warmth, and keeps me from losing items I would lose that I had
>    scattered around a shelter. Also, I have more options where I can
>    spend the night.

There are lighter tents out there. The Nomad from <www.wanderlust.com>comes to mind as does the Sil
Shelter from Integral Designs <www.integral-designs.com>. I've used the latter in all sorts of
weather including bad bug season.

> 11.  Maps, data book, Wingfoot book, etc. are not needed, but I like the
>      data book since it is light and helpful. Other hikers usually have
>      one if you have any questions.

Well I don't like Wingfoot's book and you can't get it now. I really like the guidebooks. besides
having good trail descriptions they are full of local history and the like which I always enjoy
reading. I get a similar pleassure and use out of the maps. I have carried the Data Book sometimes
and other times left it at home. I've never carried the ALDHA Companion though there have been times
I wish I'd had it for its info on towns. Relieing on other hikers is not a real good idea. You may
not be able to find someone to ask.

> 12.  mail drops: they are a big pain for the most part; lost mail, bad
>      timing coming into town, being sick of food you have prepackaged
>      are all problems. Most of the time you can hitch to a grocery store
>      so don't worry too much about it.

Never had any trouble with mail. Nor have I gotten sick of the food I've pre-packaged. However, I do
buy my share of groceries along the way.

> 13.  head lamp: love it

I'm happy with a Photon most times.

> 17. small pack: with less stuff a large, heavier pack is not needed

Very true.

> 18. sunglasses and suntan lotion: not for me

This rather depends on your skin. I have friends that'd burn real fast if they didn't take suntan
lotion. If I were doing a lot of hiking in exposed places at AT elevations during peak sun times I
might actually bring some lotion too. At high elevations (i.e., out west) I certainly do.

> 20. zip lock and garbage bags: They come in very handy. Some stuff
>     sacks are not as water proof as you might think so putting them in
>     a garbage bag can help. The zip locks save weight in food
>     packaging and are great for allowing you to find what you want in
>     your food bag.

Yes. Quite so.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **