[at-l] Cameras - Say Cheese!

As somewhat of a camera bug, and at the risk of coming in on the end of
this thread [I read my e-mails from latest to earliest], I would offer
some personal experience-based thoughts.  First, I personally would
recommend forgetting digital cameras for the trail; the cheapest
disposaable camera will take better grained and richer pics, and then
all you have to do is get a reputable processor to put the pics on disk
when you have them developed.  The better ones will put your pics on a
CD-ROM, and give you 4-5 different jpg picture file sizes, so you will
have everything from thumbnails to e-mailable size to monster, rich
depth and size files, all on one disk.  Second, I would highly recommend
the newer nikon line of compact cameras; I am still an old 35 mm SLR
guy, but the newer compact sized nikons all have glass lenses, and have
a panorama feature while still using 35 mm film - not a bad combo.
There are many other great compact cameras also - the famous Canon Elphs
and Olympus makes good ones, too (among others).  As to film, I
recommend FUJI over Kodak, as much as I hate saying that; as to speed, I
recommend 100 and 200 for most outdoor situations - the grain is better
than in 400, and for outdoor shots, 100/200 is more than adequate.
HOWEVER, for shots inside shelters, tents, buildings, etc. it is good to
have 400 speed . . . for those "flash" pic times.  One catch-22 you will
find is that if you take a roll of pics that has, say, 80% outdoor shots
on it, but a couple of indoor or in-shelter flash shots, it is VERY hard
to find a good processor that individually evaluates each exposure
BEFORE developing and printing to give you the best outcome for that
roll.  In all events, I recommend taking the time and trouble to take
PEOPLE shots; the scenery will always be there - and many times will
disappoint you in how poorly a 2-dimensional long distance mountain or
stream shot turns out, versus shots of all the great people you met, and
soon may forget without that happenstance photo you or a buddy took . .
.

Hike On!

Thru-Thinker
[Clark Wright]