[at-l] GARUCK LIST

That really sums it up. Some would like to have a much more organized
RUCK experience and better way to determine if it will be worth the
investment in time and money. That is a valid criticism. A different
and possibly regional philosophy would/should dictate the styles of a
variety of RUCKs. At the very worst, the GA RUCK will be a weekend
night spent in or near a really neat State Park with a cool waterfall
and nifty views.

Personally, I saw our GA RUCK as something to be informal without the
heavy structure of even Trail Days. Something closer to the experience
of going to the trail with only preconceptions of the event. Once those
are crushed, you figure out how to make things work. Folks got to ask
questions of each other. I know I got many good answers. I would have
loved to hear Nimblewill's story, but I was really keen for his time to
be without pressure of a performance. I felt I got a wealth of info
just looking over his gear, smashing a few of my preconceptions.

I am certain that it could be done cheaper or more expensive, less
formal or more organized, more recreational or more creative,... You
get the idea. While I am involved with the GA RUCK, it is pretty
certain to be a moderately expensive, casually organized and somewhat
haphazard affair - much like my gear closet or my desktop. That is
probably _not_ the ideal RUCK. Folks who have better knowledge and
experience at these things ought to consider the opportunity to lay the
foundations of a better RUCK closer to home and friends, or offer to
step in and fix the mess I've tossed together. It certainly is not a
personal lifetime goal to me. Those goals are even more ethereal.

Bill...