[at-l] Side trip suggestions for Year 2002 thru-hikers

Desert Nomad wrote:
<<<I went to D.C. for the 4th of July. I pitched my tent on the mall
right up next to the Washington Memorial on the morning of the 4th>>>>

Was it this year that you were there on July 4th? Just curious, because
our daughter was there with a group of church youth, taking a break from
building a house for Habitat For Humanity. There were torrential
downpours all evening, with flash flooding everywhere. If you were there
this year, I'm curious how your tent/gear faired under those conditions,
not to mention the "bazillion" people that were all over the place. She
said she saw a few tents near the Wash. Monument, but not many at all
because the weather was quite bad. They all came home drenched via the
Metro. Surprisingly enough, they did actually set off the fireworks, and
she said it was incredible, and made it worth the trip.

Landslide