[at-l] Hello everybody! AT-L Noobe

"Josh Wilkins" wrote:
>Seems like a really great list with some knowledgeable friendly folks.

Josh -
Welcome to the zoo - I think you'll find it generally a hiker-friendly
place.  There are a lot of thruhikers here as well as a lot of long-section
hikers.  You should have no problem finding answers as long as you're
willing to ask the questions.  In fact, the problem may be sorting through
the answers to find what fits you.

>I'm just starting to plan my first thru-hike in 2003 leaving in late march
>or the beginning of April going northbound. I have been looking for a at-l
>FAQ but I haven't been able to find one yet. I searching in general for
>advice and help planning a great trip.

FAQ are generally static - the Trail isn't.  RnR seems to have put it pretty
well - I'll just add that as equipment, techniques, clothing, even the Trail
change, you need the "latest" information - not last years FAQ.

>My wife to be and I are going and it will be our honeymoon trip. So if you
>have any advice, =
>anything at all please shoot it my way. We both vegetarians too if =
>anyone has help in that area. If anyone else is in their planning =
>process please let me know we can keep each other up todate on what is
>helpful and good resources.

We're not vegetarians so others can help you better with that aspect, but if
you're gonna do this as a honeymoon, I'll suggest that you start by reading
the Thruhiking Papers (particularly Part 7) ---- together.  If you manage to
survive that experience, let me know and I'll give you the part of the
Thruhiker Papers that didn't make it onto the Web site.  It's specifically
for couples.  Hmm - you need  the address, don't you?  Try -
http://trailwise.circumtech.com

Ginny and I have hiked over 13,000 miles together - hiking as a couple is
"different".

Walk softly,
Jim