Re Esbits: [at-l] "Stoves" and thruhiking --- LONG

Hi Kahley,

I bought two cases in the same deal (spring of '99) and have been using them
ever since.  My apartment gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter and
I haven't noticed any problems with the tabs.  Just as when I bought them,
they do not light "instantly".  You do have to hold a flame to them for a
few seconds.  I generally pick mine up a bit off the stove but still behind
the windscreen to light and then place it back down on the stove.  No fuss,
no muss.  One lighter got me through an entire thruhike.

Someone recently posted a trick for older Esbit tabs that they were having
problems with...  They just shaved a corner off the tab to "expose" some new
surface area and lit the newly exposed area.  I haven't needed to do this at
all, but I will keep it in mind, just in case.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99