[at-l] Christmas night backpack

Thanks for the trip report!  Your campsite sounds wonderful.
I can hear the rain on the lily pads....aaahhhhhh.....
Just a thought, since you had to toss a third of your supper,
have you considered that third was the meat?  Short timers
have the advantage of not having to worry about protein
deficiency so we can save weight if we want.  I'm never
really hungry the first night out and I'm more than happy that my
bod will be content with what it has on board.  A cuppa Lipton's
tomatoe soup, a pot of Mrs.Grass Chicken ( six tiny pcs of diced
dried chicken, a handful of very very quick cooking noodles
and the flavor ball,  What is in that flavor ball?) soup and tea and
a couple cookies does it for me in the PM.  Helps keep me
hydrated too.
Wake up hungry for grits!  YUM.

>My neck said it didn't appreciate my packweight.
 > I had brought my fleece pants and was glad of it.

hmmm.....neck pain + fleece pants = cozy = good?
Only you can answer that.  I went lighter on the shelter
before I gave up the fleece pants.  It's a natural progression <g>

>Lessons learned:  1.  I need to get a lighter weight tent.

YUP

>2.  I need a
>lightweight RECTANGULAR bag.  I just can't sleep in a mummy bag.

Me either but...
Unless your problem is that you need to have your feet a foot apart,
look at semi rect bags.  There are ounces to be saved in addition
to added toe warmth.  A true rectangular bag has waaaay to much space
to heat at the bottom.  Remember, your bod is your space heater, your
only source of heat.  When I used to use a rect bag, I put my pack on
one of the corners to cut down the space my feet needed to heat.

>  3.  I can do it by myself--okay, with a friend, but on my own.

WOOOHOOOO JOAN!!!!!!  Bigtime congrats!!