[at-l] Zip Stove

In a message dated 12/27/01 5:25:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,=20
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> Weight is 1# for the stove plus a bag to carry it=20
> in, plus 5.5 oz for the saw plus a spare battery plus whatever tinder or=20
> fuel is carried plus a bag to carry it in.  Plus a bag to carefully carry=20=
a=20
> sooty pot in.  Total weight =E2=80=93 hmmm =E2=80=93 not sure.  Probably r=
anges from 1.5#=20
> to=20
> 2.5# on the =E2=80=9Cbad=E2=80=9D days.  Ask Weary or Kahley.
>=20

     ***  Never needed a saw myself, though it would have made it easier. Th=
e=20
important, relevant part you omit about the Zip is lack of fuel weight. Wher=
e=20
a heavy packer out of town will have a full fuel burden, the Zip carrier wil=
l=20
have the same 1 pound he always carries, saving the entire fuel and bottle=20
weight the whisperlighter is toting. He possibly saves a nasty hitch for fue=
l=20
and fuel scrounging where it's hard to obtain too. =20

    The stick weight carried into camp is negligible, since it is often in o=
r=20
very near camp where this comes into play. I cooked a long dinner, second=20
cocoa, & breakfast at Baldpate just out of the campfire chips surrounding th=
e=20
pit.

   =20
      I have had mixed results with my Zip. There are times where it fires u=
p=20
and burns dry, dead material just like a Whisperlight and cooks at the same=20
speed, and there are times when it is difficult to gather wood in an=20
over-used site in the rain. I have experienced strange slow cooking times to=
o=20
where I did everything right and still took 15 minutes to boil a quart or so=
=20
(probably low battery). I also had a choking smoke problem at Baldpate=20
Shelter where the Maine firs' pitch burned like heavy smudge. Packing the=20
blackened pot was no trouble in the plastic bag I brought. I suppose if I=20
were through-hiking I would learn the tricks better.=20

     Overall, a positive. Worth the fuel hassle/weight savings. If stove=20
breaks, use campfire...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---