[at-l] "Stoves" and thruhiking --- LONG

> The “Zip” stove – It’s relatively cheap to run, fairly
> reliable (although I’ve seen some of them fail) and generally
> field-maintainable for those who are mechanically inclined.
> It’s proponents claim you don’t have to carry fuel, but if
> it’s a wet, rainy, nasty day – you’ll probably end up carrying
> at least some dry tinder and probably a lot more.

The most I keep on hand at all times is a piece of birch
bark (a.k.a. nature's fire ribbon). It burns pretty well
even when wet. No matter how miserable the conditions, I've
never failed to start the stove using a small handful of
crushed birch bark.

If I'm unsure of my fuel supply (i.e. if I have to walk more
than twenty feet for it), I'll typically start collecting fuel
about 15 minutes from where I plan to camp; perhaps a little
earlier if the woods are wet. One cargo pocket of my German
army surplus shorts holds more than enough wood for an evening.

What is more likely, when the Fulminatrix and I decide to
throw up a tent off the trail someplace, is that I won't even
bother collecting wood until we decide on a site. It's too
plentiful in the northeast to concern yourself over.

> I’m not sure “everyone” does, but those who have traveled
> with us and used the Zip have also carried a saw – which
> adds to the weight and expense – and which the Zip proponents
> generally fail to remember.

Interesting. I can't imagine why anyone would pack a saw. I
rarely feed my Zip sticks that are thicker than my thumb (i.e.
nothing that can't be easily broken up by hand) because anything
bigger would require me to lift the pot to insert it into the
fire box. Perhaps a saw is a western thing.

> They also don’t usually have much to say about battery
> replacement so while I don’t know how often the battery has
> to be replaced, for the moment I’ll assume about once every
> two weeks.

Two weeks is about right, in my experience. There's really
no need to carry a spare battery because you'll have plenty
of warning (a couple of days) that the battery is running
low on power. The Zip can push enough air using nearly dead
batteries to burn semi-efficiently -- I've read that some
thruhikers used batteries discarded by others to power their
Zips. In an pinch, if you have any other AA-powered device
(such as a camera or headlamp) you can borrow from it.

> As has been pointed out – they smoke, which means using one in
> a crowded shelter on a rainy day is problematical.

...and impossible near a tent in any weather. This is the
single biggest disadvantage of a Zip stove, in my opinion.
It sometimes makes me wish I'd brought Superfly instead.

http://www.joecartoon.com/downloads/dlsf2.html

> They also leave your pot very sooty – which means being
> very careful about storage unless you really like soot
> colored sleeping bags, clothing and food.

I put my pot in a large freezer bag inside of the small
stuff sack that came with the cookware. The freezer bag
wears out after a while, but between the two I've never
had the pot contaminate stuff in my pack. I can't say the
same of the white gas stove I used to carry.

> They’re also slow – at the end of a 25-mile day, I’m not
> interested in collecting wood, building and feeding a fire
> and waiting an hour to eat.  We watched a partner on the
> CDT go through that routine in the rain, snow and cold –
> for a week.  The CDT doesn't have shelters in Montana. Then
> he ditched the Zip and got a Whisperlite.

They're slow, true, but not in the way that most people would
suppose. In my experience, under typical conditions a Zip
stove isn't slower to set up and bring water to a boil than
is white gas -- not by enough to matter (then again, I've
never hiked a 25-mile day). Less efficient fuel and overly wet
conditions will slow you down by a couple of minutes. No big
yank.

The real time killer is waiting for the stove to cool down
enough to pack away. The fire box gets *hot* and doesn't cool
quickly -- even when you leave the fan running to circulate
air through it. This isn't an issue in the evening at your
campsite, but is sometimes an inconvenience if you're eager
to hit the trail after your morning coffee.

On the other hand, if you're not in a rush and your idea of
cooking is more than just boiling water as quickly as possible,
you can use a Zip to toast bagels[*] and cook cheddarwurst on a
stick. After dark, the Zip even makes for a reasonable caveman
TEEVEE.

> There’s also the problem that they’re not considered “legal”
> in some places. Reportedly, they’re considered “open fires”
> and illegal in some places of the prettier places in the
> world even in “non-drought” conditions (not generally on
> the AT, though).

Unless the area in question specifically prohibits *wood*
fires (e.g. the wilderness areas in the Whites), I've had no
reservations over firing up the Zip. Nobody in a position of
authority has taken issue with my using one at a "no fires"
campsite. At the very worst I suppose you can plead ignorance
while mentioning that the Zip stove is approved by the U.S.
Forest Service.

If you chance using your Zip in an unapproved area, keep in
mind that wood smoke can be detected from a great distance --
especially downwind. Remember that while selecting a spot
to camp. Furthermore, even if a Zip stove is acceptable in a
"no open fires" area, any ranger who smells your smoke will
almost certainly assume an open fire and investigate. The Zip
isn't a good stove for stealth.

> And in spite of all that, we may try one next summer in
> Montana – we’re not planning on big-mile days out there.
> Cost – initial purchase cost is $48.99 plus $13.99 for a
> saw (which I’ve been led to believe is a good idea). The
> $13.00 operating cost consists of battery replacement
> (assuming every 2 weeks) over a 6-month thruhike, so “total”
> cost would be $72.98.   Weight is 1# for the stove plus a
> bag to carry it in, plus 5.5 oz for the saw plus a spare
> battery plus whatever tinder or fuel is carried plus a bag
> to carry it in.  Plus a bag to carefully carry a sooty pot
> in.  Total weight – hmmm – not sure.  Probably ranges from
> 1.5# to 2.5# on the “bad” days.  Ask Weary or Kahley.

My rig is around 20 ounces. That includes the stove, matches,
battery, freezer bag and stuff sack, small piece of birch bark,
and a square of aluminum foil to place under the stove if I'm
cooking on heath.

-MF