[at-l] Food weight

I did some of both; boiled in hostel kitchens - or anyone elses kitchen
that I could MOJO into letting me! :) - and also did some on my own
using my trusty MSR Whisperlight stove.  Also boiled a batch over
campfire once - as a cute Boy Scout trick aside, did you know that you
can actually boil an egg in an old-fashioned, waxed paper dixie cup full
of water right in the middle of a blazing campfire?  Ahh, the pyro
memories of my scouting youth . . . But, I digress . . . Back to my
white gas stove . . you actually can boil a half dozen real efficiently
in a gas stove by putting the eggs in from the start, and then by
turning the stove off after just one minute of boil - with a lid of any
kind, the heat will finish the job of hard boiling in about five more
minutes.  In anything but raging 95 degree heat, hardboiled eggs will
keep many days.  This, plus the pre-cooked bacon and cheese of all kinds
were life-savers for me.  I'm pretty skinny to start with, and have a
high metabolism, and like to hike 20+ mile days pretty often. That was
almost a lethal combination for me during my first month as I lost
almost 25 pounds!  Too much, too fast!  I also started forcing myself to
eat more "on the run" - and for that reason it is critical for me to
have access to some sort of pocket pouch and a hydration tube, so I can
eat and drink in between meals without taking too many sit down breaks.
It sounds kinda strange, but one of the reasons I like to hike without
too many "stop and take pack off" breaks, is that I like to dawdle at
the magical spots that catch my fancy - it took me forever to get
through the Grayson Highlands and the Whites, for instance.  The
squashed, fresh bagels, and bagel crisps also are good energy, not to
mention the old stand-by of peanut butter (which I don't like too much
as it is too sticky and dry for my tastes, but the jelly swirl varieties
are pretty kewl!)

hope this helps - hike on!

Thru-Thinker
[Clark Wright]