[at-l] dec 20th 1999

Well, since the list is so quiet, and I ain't doin' anything
else, I
guess I'll 'year ago today' ya.

After I left Flint Mt. Shelter, I did the climb up to Big
Butt.
Somewhere in there, was something nearly as strange as the
'Z' in the
sky: An older model Chevy Blazer sitting in the middle of
the Trail.
This was not on one of the many 'roads' (railroad grade or
old logging
roads) that are prevalent in the area. This was on standard,

single-width AT. It was easily 1/2 a mile (Hmmm, 5 tenths),
and probably
much more, from the nearest 'road' (the dirt road near the
Shelton
Monuments). The engine was still hot, and was popping and
cracking as it
cooled. It caused a very uneasy feeling in me, as I didn't
want to be
around if someone returned 'to the scene'. I did a quick
look inside to
make sure that no one was inside and hurt. The window was
open where
someone climbed out. Creepy.

 I went out to the view at Blackstack Cliffs. They had been
socked in
when I hiked this section the first time. Later, I saw a
bear hunter
with an antenna about the same size as the one on my house.
He was a
nice guy, I guess. I gave him M&Ms and Cheetos. This was at
Laurel (?)
Shelter  (Little Laurel?). Somewhere between Old Hayesville
Road and
Allen Gap, I found two bottles of Coke. (The beverage) I ate
one with a
snack at Allen Gap. I saw a guy litter. I hate litterers. I
really do. I
made it up on top the mountain that Spring Mountain Shelter
is on. I
can't think of the name of it. There was a nice Sunset that
evening.
(Why did I capitalize 'Sunset'? I'll never know) Spring
Mountain Shleter
had the loudest mouse I encountered on the hike. I never saw
him. He was
between to layers of tin (I guess) roofing. Every move,
every chew,
everything he did resonated through the whole
metal-roof-amplifier. I'd
crack the roof with my fist and he'd quiet down for about 40
seconds. He
drove me insane, I tell you. Insane. I was glad that I had
the viles of
Coke. I slept on the right side of the shelter looking in.
Seems like
something funny happened that night, but I can't remember
what.
Something to do with alien spacecraft...I don't remember....

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98