Re[3]: [at-l] Low cost trail recipes

My entry for today is simple -- oatmeal.

 The instant stuff sells for $4-$5 a pound.

 I buy generic store brands for around a buck.

 Basic ingredients.

 1 cup oatmeal

 a few sprinkles of salt.

 brown sugar to taste (I use a tablespoon full)

 1/4 cup powdered milk.

 1/4 cup of raisins

Up to 1/4 cup of whatever else suits your fancy. (dried apples, nuts etc.)

 Other flavorings. I add cinnamon if I'm using dried apples and occasionally to
 other concoctions.

 Line up the ingredients in bowls and dish the above amounts into ziplock
 sandwich bags. I then place sufficient zip locks into a freezer bag to last me
 between resupply points.

 On the trail dump mixture into a cooking pot. Add two cups of water.

 Bring to boil, while stirring constantly if using a whisperlight. A low heat
 esbit or alcohol stove needs only an occasional stirring. Once boiling, set to
 one side for a minute or two to thicken.

 Calories: oats 300, milk 60, raisins 130, sugar 45. Total 535

 A quarter cup of walnuts will add another 200 calories. The combination
 provides about 25 percent of the recommended dietary fiber needed by "regular"
 folks on the trail.

 Total weight per meal: about 4 ounces, varying somewhat with what extras you
 choose.

 Note: I use powdered milk in the mixture, because it's simpler that way. But
 cooking with powdered milk makes cleanup more difficult. It works as well and
 maybe better to mix the milk with a little water and add it after the oatmeal
 is done.

 Weary