[at-l] Why Delita hasn't left YET... and gear tales

Max Patch to Hot Springs was 1 1/2 days for me last year, but
associated with abusing myself (too many miles on worn out socks) and
causing some dehydration and rhabdomylesis and red urine on the first
day. I suspect 3 days is quite generous assuming an early morning
shuttle from Hot Springs.

Since you are not all that familiar with your gear, I agree that an
overnight this weekend is an excellent idea. I would strongly
discourage going with only a 30 degree bag just now. Today I was in
Waynesville, NC and never saw the thermometer surge past 34 degrees -
in the sun. Bivies and tents both have benefits regarding temperature
preservation, with bivies winning the weight contest - usually. They
look a bit much like a body bag to me.

Your clothing still looks a bit much. I don't know about acrilic
tobaggons, ball caps, head bands, balacava and neck gaitor. I'd limit
it to the balacava and a good windproof tobaggon, knowing your shell
will have a hood for further wind and rain protection. If you must
bring a change of underwear, consider possibly limiting the number of
socks. The number of layers looks like a lot, although I suspect you
will want more if you only bring a 30 degree bag. The Gortex jacket and
overcoat sound really unnecessary if you have a good shell as well as
the rain pants.

Good luck! Make it fun.

Bill...