[at-l] Why Delita hasn't left YET... and gear tales

Once upon 10 days ago, when I had this bright idea, the first
thought was - I'll have to borrow a car or get a ride
(twice).  Then my brothers conspired to give me a car.  NICE!
Naturally, I didn't look for a ride (2).

Then we couldn't get the car, the mechanic and me together
before Christmas.  And the brother who went to Miami took the
keys and only alarm beeper with him. LOL  Today the keys
reappeared, but the tag place was closed.  TOMORROW,
hypothetically this will all be solved.

In the meantime - what was I thinking!  The gear questions!
You all have been wonderful.  Past wonderful.  Not only have
you sent lots of tips on list, I've gotten about that many
more directly.  People have loaned me stuff!  People have
offered to loan me *more* stuff.  I still have to work out
whether I can do *without* a tent and *with* a goretex bivy.
(I have never bivied, but think I'd like it.)  I still have to
decide if I can get around bringing the 30* bag with the good
zipper without having to bring the 0* bag also as a quilt.  I
*am* planning to bring two closed cell pads.

I have no idea how much this stuff all weighs, but rejected
the 2-3 person umbrella tent loan. ;->

As to the clothes - I think I am there.  I will post a list
below.  I did do a John O. a couple days ago and did 8 miles
in my nylon pants and polyurethaned windbreaker.  It got wet
inside. ;-)  But the nylon pants felt great.  Now I have
mo-betta clothes and may go do a quick 4 miles tonight in the
cold just to test them out.

As to the food - that is complicated when you are looking for
*real* food.  If I ate Little Debbies somebody *would* have to
carry me out!  But I think I have that handled, too.  I'll
post about that later (some have asked) - maybe after I get
back.

In addition to gear choices, I am running out of time.  I
foolishly agreed to work Monday - indeed, cover the office.
Which means I would have to be back Sunday.  But I think I
might need more than 3 days to do this section (Max Patch road
to Hot Springs).  Or maybe I'll go ahead and work a couple
days and do 1 overnight this weekend, then take 4 days off the
next week to hike this?

The weather forecast has lightened up (no snow showers, temps
up to low 40ies for days and low 20ies, high teens for
nights).  *Maybe* I could do this in 3 days.  (Experience
tells me to go with my first instincts and give it 4 days.)
Or I could switch to 3 days somewhere else - like the Mt.
Rogers? VA someone suggested?

Here's the clothes list - no weights.

WEAR
    shell (nice one!)
    light fleece pullover
    light poly long-sleeved shirt
    light nylon pants
    silk pants
    thorlo winter hikers
    vegan garmont boots
    appropriate undies
    light thermal glove liners
    fleece head/ear band
    ball cap

CARRY
    polypro shirt
    polypro drawers
    goretex jacket (lined)
    goretex pants
    lightweight fleece gloves
    lightweight neck gaiter
    acrylic toboggan
    lightweight poly balaclava
    gortetex overcoat (unlined)
    3 more thorlo winter socks, 2 winter sock liners
    silk shirt
    tights
    1 extra undie

BTW - I had 75 emails when I got home tonight and have only
read a couple.  Now that I've eaten (oh yeah, that) I am going
to go pack my food and essentials and let all this perk in the
back of my brain.  Then I will come back, read emails and
decide.  So feel free to weigh in - on your choice of issues.

And in case I forget for my trip report: first lesson learned,
it takes time to get all these various elements together, but
experience (and having gear on hand) will help, I expect.

Thanks again, everyone!  I'm off to see my ziplocks!

Delita

--
Delita Wright
Chapel Hill, NC