[at-l] Question of Cost

Hi all,

I just found this newsgroup and it's excellent for someone like me
planning my first extended trip along the AT. I've done a bunch of 4-5
day hikes in the Whites, but this will be my first attempt at something
as significant as the AT.

I am planning on leaving GA around April 15th and hiking until the end
of August / early September. I know this won't get me to Katahdin, and
plan on getting only as far as the Whites but there is no way around the
scheduling.

My two questions are:

1. How likely is snow for a trip starting April 15th at Springer, and
   not going all the way to Maine? Although I know I'd have to plan for
   some in the south to be prudent, it seems like I'd mostly miss the
   snow on both ends. True?

2. Does $3500 sound like a reasonable cost projection (not including
   gear)? I've heard the ranges, but does this mean that $3500 - $4000
   is reasonable -- esp. for a hike that's only going to be 4.5 months?

Thanks a bunch for any help you can give. I'm newly subscribed to the
list and look forward to gleaning any wisdom I can.

Sean