[at-l] Nighttime entertainment

Taking something along to *do* at night...

The obvious is a book.  Which I probably will do.

I prefer to leave entertainments at home so I won't be
self-absorbed and miss what's around me. But...

14 hour nights.

I'd like to take a set of teaching tapes I've been meaning to
get to and my walkman.  How does a cheapo walkman act at 10*?

I also like to write, but not with a pencil  (I'll take one of
those in my essentials).  Are there any pens that will work at
10*?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Delita