Long, was Re: [at-l] Three years ago today...

In a message dated 12/23/01 5:24:20 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Slyatpct@aol.com writes:

> I remember your posts about coming out of Mnt. Momas heading into the
> Smokies.

I remember those posts too.  Seems to me it was one of your best times on the
Trail.  Some people might think it is lonely on xmas away from family and
friends.  You found new friends and appreciated the little things that made
it great, found people who made what could have been a lonely time a time
alone, but not lonely.  This year is the leanest Christmas, as far as
presents, my kids will ever experience (I hope).  But in actuality, we have
each other . . . and as hiking the Trail breaks things down into the really
important (food, shelter, and physical health), this Christmas in what could
almost be called a poverty stage is breaking life down into those three
essentials for us too.  Maybe that's why I love the Trail.  When you are
there, you are rich in so many things, no matter how old and scratched up
your gear is.  And maybe that's why last night, trimming a tree we didn't
think we'd have this year, thanks to a teenager with a heart, we sat in total
silence and gazed at it, my kids and me sitting on the couch all cuddled up
kind of, looking at the sparkling lights and the ornaments that each had a
meaning, above and beyond being an ornament . . . and why my five year old
said at that point that even though Santa was having a tough year and
wouldn't have as many presents to bring, it sure was nice that we had a
beautiful tree and we were all cuddled up on the couch together. Cassy has a
way with words, for a five year old - or for any age.

The Trail is about the great things in life - that has nothing to do with
"things".  And I think that's why Felix telling us about his Christmas on the
Trail hit home then - and now.  If you missed it - archives, folks, archives.

And we have those archives thanks to Ryan.  In fact, we have this family,
independent of, but a part of, the Trail community, thanks to Ryan.  So maybe
now would be a good time to say Merry Christmas, Ryan, and thank you - for
bringing us together, for ignoring our squabbles, for letting us be a family
instead of making us conform to a set of rules that might be less flamatory
but wouldn't be family.  This list helps future thru hikers - but isn't just
about that.  This list is comprised of lots of folks who give much time and
effort and money to Trail endeavors - but it isn't just about that.  This
list has nothing but people who love the Trail - and it isn't just about that
either.

Thank you, Ryan, for recognizing that we needed a place to be together, to be
with people who love the same thing, even though we all have different views
on everything from politics to eminent domain to hiking sticks.  For letting
us air those views without interference, trusting us to ultimately come back
to what we all love.  Even when we get human and angry, or say things we wish
we could take back, or lack a little in tact, diplomacy or even plain
politeness.  You let us behave as a family, with warts and all.  You put up
with a lot, given the time and money you have invested in this list.  I don't
think mere words can express how much I, and so many others, appreciate what
you've done here.  So I'll just say thank you, inadequate as that sounds, and
Merry Christmas.

Red

multipart/alternative
  text/html