[at-l] boiling time for alcohol stove

Using 1 oz of denatured alcohol in my soda can stove (Photon stove), Walmart
greasepot (with lid) on potstand made of 1/2" mesh hardware cloth (no
windscreen), holding pot 1-1/2" above stove, I brought 1 cup of water to boil
in 2 minutes, 2 cups of water to boil in 3-1/2 minutes.  The stove burned
5-1/2 to 6 minutes total before fuel ran out.  The water was from the tap.
I'm pretty happy with those results.

Question:  As long as I can remove the pot and/or lid without burning myself
(which I was able to do), is there any harm in the flames licking the sides
of the pot and climbing up?  My reasoning tells me that that's a good thing;
it means the heat is covering a large surface area.  That is, or course as
long as it's not getting blown around to the side and missing the bottom.

Now...what to cook, what to cook?  Soup anyone?
-Teresa

"Procrastination is a dream-killer."

multipart/alternative
  text/html