[at-l] Cold weather hiking

L. Parker wrote:

> OB's suggestion about putting the water inside your jacket is actually
> standard winter practice, and will warm the water sufficiently for the
> iodine to work in half an hour or so. Just to reiterate a point someone else
> made, don't bother with drinking tube type bladders, below freezing the hose
> freezes quite rapidly unless you drink from it frequently. Much below zero
> and you can't drink from it frequently enough!

Ooooh, this reminds me of when I lived in Minnesota.  I worked in a barn
so I got to find out lots about being outside in the cold weather.  In
really cold weather, water from the hose would freeze to the boards of
the stalls on contact.  No dripping.  It was kind of cool, unless you
forgot to unhook the hose afterward and the hydrant froze..

That, and you can tell when it gets down to zero because your nose hairs
freeze when you breathe.  Handy if you don't have a thermometer.

-amy in maryland, where the water is liquid most of the time