[at-l] Take the time (was Animals...)

Thank you all for your wonderful animal stories!  I hope you enjoyed
recalling the moments as much as I enjoyed reading about them!  My chance of
seeing animals from in here are not good, so that means I have to get out
more.  Not a bad idea at all.  It's my goal, my Now Year's Resolution. (Yes,
I meant to type "now.")

Twice this week I rode my bike to work instead of taking the car.  On the
second day, a thought dawned on me.  I realized that I live a lot of the time
thinking about either the past, or more likely, the future.  Riding the bike
gave me time to think about the present, and to look at things a little
slower.  It's not necessary for me to hurry to work, then hurry home from
work, then hurry to get things done so I get to bed at a decent hour, just to
get up and do the same thing all over again.  Even though town scenery isn't
my first (or second or third) choice to look at, I enjoyed those extra
minutes looking at things, things I pass 4, 5, or 6 times a day, with no
thought given to them.  I actually noticed small things.

I realized that THAT is what I want from hiking too.  It's my chance to let
go of the tedious daily routine.  It's to BE out there.  To SEE.  The natural
world is a wonderful playground.  Something that I'd forgotten about until
the last year or so.  It made me think about things that are important to me.
 Some of those I'd forgotten too.  Work is not important.  It is a necessity
at the moment, but it's not worth getting stressed about.  This list is, to
me, a getaway of sorts.  It's where I go when I can't get out there.  And the
stories that you more experienced hikers have, are just temptations to me!
And encouragement.  When the topics and posts get waaaaaay off topic and
become attacks, it reminds me of daily grind.  And my escape hatch is closed
off.  I tried for 2 days to think of a question to ask to open it back up.  I
haven't decided... When the posts get argumentative, do the other posts stop?
 Or do the other posts stop, and we get bored and argue?

Either way, the list is great.  I've read every post since re-joining.
(Okay, maybe some I just skimmed for words like "hike", "bear", "gear",
"boots", etc)  I've learned a lot, loved most of it, and tucked it all away
in the back of my brain so I can make so-called "educated" choices as I grow
as a backpacker and a person.

Thank you to those who constantly keep the mood light, and to those who
encourage the rest of us to do the same.  I'm just here to have a good time.

-Teresa

"Procrastination is a dream-killer."

multipart/alternative
  text/html