Re[2]: [at-l] Springer on New Year's Eve!

"...Abol bridge to KSC is quite a haul on snowshoes, Weary!"

 It sure was. About nine miles and numerous blowdowns to get over. A couple of
 the party never did make it all the way in. They left surplus gear on the trail
 and went back the next weekend to rescue it. Luckily we had a large group --
 about nine as I remember -- so we had a lot of help breaking trail.

 I pulled a tendon in my groin that made each step painful. The next morning I
 climbed just high enough on Katahdin to get some pictures and then spent the
 rest of the day resting.

 I was amazed, however, how well the two kids did. They never smiled, but also
 never complained. Both went on to have successful careers. One is a surgeon in
 the mid west someplace.

 Their Dad and trip leader attempted a south bound hike a couple of years ago. I
 never heard whether he made it.

 But we were among the winter hiking pioneers in Baxter in the 70s. We hiked
 into Chimney Pond numerous times after that in January and February. Once we
 did the chimney route to the knife edge. I was on the tableland a half dozen
 times and managed the summit once. We were also the first group to traverse the
 park in winter, 40 miles from Matagammon Gate to Togue Pond, one February.

I tend to do simpler things these days, though a lot of people thought our 70s
expeditions were pretty simple-minded.

  Weary