[at-l] Driving Tent Stakes

> So my question is how are hikers, especially weight conscious ones, now driving in their stakes?

Jack,

Forget what you think you know about backpacking.  I found myself in the same quandry quite a few years ago - time away from the "trail" seeking other outdoor pursuits.  What I came to realize is what I'd really known all along, simpler is better.  Get rid of the poop scoop, the Bowie knife, and axe the axe.
On the AT, your shoe or boot will drive stakes, and if that's not good enough, a rock or fallen limb will suffice.  It it doesn't, your hammer probably won't either.  You can tie off loops on tents and tarps to trees, roots and rocks or come up with ingenious ways of pitching.  It's all part of the fun and the game.

Ron