[at-l] Malden Mills followup

I did my shopping yesterday for Polartec fabrics. Arrived about 9 am
(store opens at 8) but was greeted by the store manager, we couldn't
get in until 10:45 - Morley Safer and the crew from "60 Minutes" were
filming.

Had breakfast at the local diner, returned but missed the media
people. Proceeded to the bins of remnants, found them missing, then
asked. The manager was very nice and then went out back and brought
out a load of remants for us to paw through. This was a piece of good
luck since we were the first to go through the boxes we scored a nice
variety of colors, patterns, etc. Better than usual.

FYI, the remnants sell for $3.50/lb (solids) or $6.50/lb (designs).
Also bought a yard of microfleece for $9. A pound of midweight (200)
is about 1 yard.

The 60 minute broadcast is scheduled for sometime in January, the
staff didn't know anything more definite. The two women I talked with
were hopeful but not optimistic about their jobs. In fact they
sounded like millworkers that I've talked with all along the trail,
esp. in Millinocket.

btw, anyone familiar with the paper industry? I've heard that mills
in Berlin, NH and Millinocket are suffering, perhaps closing. I'd
appreciate hearing more details from those that know.

Thanks.