(no?) need for lug soles or lekis... was Re: Re[2]: [at-l] soap

--- Bob Cummings <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:
>   I say again. If you choose not to leave traces of your
> visits to the woods, leave home the lekis and the lug soles.
Humans managed to wander in the woods for millenia without such
aids. They surely do make it possible to hike faster and longer
with less stress on the joints. But Earl Shaffer managed to do
the trail three times without such help. Use them if you want.
> There is no law against it. But their damage remains a million
times greater, both visually and environmentally, than my tiny
sliver of Ivory soap.

### In '79 I hiked some with a gal named Karen, hiking the AT a
second time (she'd throughed in '76, too). She wore the same two
pair of standard, light tan, smooth soled, unlined, all leather
work boots that any/all of us know... She went 4200 miles
blisterless. And she walked without a hiking stick (as we called
'em back in the stone age) too. ...In my days of motorcycling,
our motorcycle boots were smooth soled, calf high paratrooper
boots. Put in many miles driving back roads, only too arive at
cool places and wander out on trails. I was terribly concerned
about traction, but we ended up regularly hiking 5-10 miles in
all kinds of conditions (excluding sneaux) -- it was pretty
handy when you're already dressed in head-to-toe GoreTex, with
built in pockets big enough to hold a picnic.... Had lunch on
top of one of the Vermont ski mountains like that....
...<"Memory time-out">
...There's a lot of overkill in lug soles and use of lekis....

Sloetoe

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!